Sunday 10 March 2013

LA Confidential
But Can I Go Home?
10 March 2013
 
 

If the astrology and geography have any say at all, by birthright Los Angeles is my home.  I was born here!  And like Aung San Suu Kyi (who was born in Burma) I am a Jupiter Lion.   Deceptively tough LA Lady, but Little Missy was brought up to the Bay Area in the blink of an eye, before the age of three.  But feels very LA Confidential!  The first colour image I ever saw in the New York Times was of Kim Basinger from that movie.  Someone at the NYT really liked Kim Basinger!  And I really like Kevin Spacey and Guy Pearce. And I think the only mistake in that picture was not giving enough screen time to Kim. Anyway...
Beverly Hills!  The place has always left me cold.  I don't know why.  I have so many friends there, it's where I always stay when I'm in LA, but I don't know.  The gardens are really too perfect, too manicured.  But it's the  place to go to get manicured.  Hello!  Go where the stars go!  Go to Senna!   You will still be thanking me when we are old!  But we will never get old with Senna around.  And take it from me, Senna has some of the best vintage things ever.  And speaking of vintage, how could I not mention my old friend Cameron Silver, one of the famous Dukes of Melrose? Cameron's store Decades is not technically Beverly Hills, but Cameron certainly is!  And if you can't get enough of reality TV, there is always the Shahs of Sunset.  I was with a friend and my son at Spago about a year ago.  We had just greeted Wolfgang Puck, the genial owner-chef.  We sat down at our table and all of a sudden, right next to us a guy pulled out a knife and threatened to kill another guy at his table.  It was the dark side of Shahs of Sunset!  At least the woman at the table had a  Birkin bag, my friend quipped.  Wow, that's Beverly Hills these days! For respite from these tiresome antics there is...
Los Feliz
 
Los Feliz is a magical place in the Hollywood Hills.  I attended a fabulous masked ball at the home of designer Sue Wong.  Sue Wong is a trip!  I want to be like that when I grow up!  A masked ball and a fortune teller!  That fortune teller told me I was going to become the editor of Vogue Magazine!  Not a very clairvoyant fortune teller!  Maybe Sue told her to tell me that. Who knows?

Let's go downtown, to the City Of Angels...
Little Missy was born in Good Samaritan Hospital, not far from the statue known as Our Lady of Angels, the patron statue of Los Angeles.  Angels and Samaritans are good omens for Jupiter Lionesses, don't you think?  And speaking of holy matters, perhaps Bono should become the next pope. God only knows he has got enough followers, even amongst the most prominent, the taste makers and so forth!  What a coup for the Church!  But they would have to change some stuff fast, and they move slow!  Too bad.  Then there is MOCA and LACMA These museums really rock!  They have all the tedious problems any large museums have, and they are working on them!  Plus they know how important fashion is!  Something which seems to escape certain other cities.

Then there is Venice Beach and Santa Monica and Pasadena and I love all of these areas.  A great neighbourhood for Little Missy might be Pacific Palisades!  An ocean front loft, and beautiful weather!  No boring fog like in London or San Francisco.  Always blue skies!  Maybe!

Best People and Things To Come Out Of LA and Environs In The Past Fifty Years
1. Cleaner air
2. UCLA becomes more prominent than Cal
3. Art
4. Rodarte
5. The Beach Boys
6. Koreatown
7. Mexican culture
8. Movies by George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola
9. Valley Girl Culture
and last but not least
10. Snoop Dogg

So what's holding me back from moving to LA?  I don't know!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning About Fashion Rodarte Spring Summer 2011, photographed at Stanford University for Electric Fashion, the book I wrote with F...