Monday 11 March 2013

In A New York Minute
11 March 2013

 
Chanel and Rodarte at The Met
 
 
 
Chanel and Rodarte.  Paris and California!  What do these designers have to do with New York?  Everything!  They along with Vivienne Westwood, Yohji Yamamoto and just about any great designer I have ever loved are being honoured this May by the Costume Institute, the esteemed fashion collection of Metropolitan Museum of Art. It will be in the form of a gala known as the party of the year.  Every year!  Harold Koda is the Director of the Costume Institute and Andrew Bolton is the curator, and these guys know what they are about!  Getting the best stuff ever for the Met. Clothes.  Accessories.  More clothes.

                                         My favourite dress in the world is here, but it is not Punk!

I know that there are some really great designers in New York and New York embraces all fashion!  New York is an embracing kind of town! They give kids a chance.  Thousands of kids coming from everywhere!  My kids are here--this is the place to be when you are young.  Even Little Missy did a stint here in her twenties.  Talk about Punk!  I do know my Punk!  The Sex Pistols, The Ramones and Blondie!  Been there my friends!  Back in the day!  But now I am returning as a patron of the arts.  Alive to tell the tale!  Punk is consecrated!  No wonder Vivienne Westwood is fuming!  I'm with Vivienne.  With all due respect to Harold and Andrew, why wasn't Vivienne given her own retrospective at the Met?  Why is she being bunched together other designers?  Even  though they're my favourite designers?
Anyway.  Let's talk about New York, and all the good things about it! 
The men in New York are smart and sophisticated, that's for certain!  When I walk out of a fashion show in September and it is boiling hot but I am wearing the coat of the season meaning Autumn and I look ridiculous, New York men come up to me on the street and say "Hey darling, you are looking good!" Not, "You are looking hot"!  Because they get it!  Fashion rocks their economy.  Just read the Wall Street Journal!  And Tell us about the boy from New York City!

My kids live in Williamsburg and TriBeca.  Where else would they live?  Little Missy raised them!  Hipsters R Us.  But I don't want to live in those neighbourhoods.  If I lived in New York, I think I would want to be in the Upper West Side.  Must have been all those Woody Allen movies.  Tree lined streets where kids can play ball,  the American Museum of Natural History, Central Park, the Met.  It's a no-brainer for me.  My kids could come and visit me.
Food?  This city has it!  Jean-Georges is on the Upper West Side. Nougatine for a more casual bite.  The Met's Private Dining Room!  But you have to be a member.  And it's kind of stuffy!  Everywhere you turn there is a restaurant.  The thing to do in New York is find the couple of neighbourhood spots you like and patronise them.
                               It's easy to get stuck in a time warp, and this would be mine.

Then there's FIT.  Dr. Valerie Steele runs the fashion school and it is a great one. I also recommend the school's museum.  The current exhibition is called Shoe Obsession. And here is another tip.  This one may be more difficult.  If you want to have your hair be the most perfect colour you can ever imagine, go to Louis Licari.  The salon has a client roster that is unbelievable, and Louis personally treats each of his clients exactly the same.  Whether you are Caroline Kennedy or you are not anyone famous, Louis will give you his undivided attention.  In fact I think that Louis Licari is the purest form of democracy in our country.  And Louis is the best colourist in the world. 
To be honest, most of the places I have loved in New York have come and gone, only to be replaced with awesome spots I have yet to get to know.  Adventures await me!

                               I lived near Washington Square Park in the late seventies

I don't know if I'm ready to move to New York and you can bet my kids are probably not ready for it.  But this city is definitely one of the places I would want to think about.  It's fun thinking about "What if I lived in New York?"  Try it some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning About Fashion Rodarte Spring Summer 2011, photographed at Stanford University for Electric Fashion, the book I wrote with F...