Tuesday 24 February 2015

Clockwork Fashion 
and
Who was the Best Dressed at the Academy Awards?

Mary Katrantzou Winter 2014-15

Little Missy must begin with a disclaimer:  not normally a fan of designer Mary Katrantzou, I "discovered" the above dress at the Strand Hotel in Rangoon last November.  The Burmese gallerist and fashion connoisseur Ivan Pun was having a trunk show, and this was one of Mary's pieces he was showing.  He called it the "clock dress" .  I had just seen about five thousand Buddhas over a two week period and was fascinated by the clocks I sometimes saw at Buddhist sites. I would have loved to have collected this piece, given the provenance and it was just not meant to be.  The fabulousness of the clock dress and the clock Buddhas still amaze me.
Buddha with clocks


Rodarte Fall 2015

Here is a beautiful embellished dress from the new Rodarte collection which was shown in New York last week--a little less literal and perhaps more to my taste.  In fact it was for me the best piece I saw from the season's collections.

Mary Katrantzou Fall 2015 makeup
Rodarte Fall 2015 makeup

Little Missy is loving these looks--simple and complex at the same time!  Kind of like life!
Zendaya in Westwood at the Academy Awards!

And the winner for best dressed at the 2015 Academy Awards this week goes to 18 year old Zendaya, the Disney star who gets my vote for being outrageously beautiful and elegant.  Her hair was truly a spectacular Hollywood moment!  Here's to more moments like this one!

1 comment:

  1. Great to see you back, Little Missy. Buddhas, "clock dresses," Rodarte, Westwood at the Oscars--glorious!

    By the way, upon your glowing recommendation I'm reading "Crazy Rich Asians" and it is all you claimed and then some. Thanks so much for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete

Learning About Fashion Rodarte Spring Summer 2011, photographed at Stanford University for Electric Fashion, the book I wrote with F...