Friday 12 April 2013

 Advice from An Older Woman, Taxes and Gluten Free Diets
12 April 2013
                        Of course I know how to dress for a barbecue.  Photograph by Frederic Aranda

Little Missy has been invited to a barbecue in a suburban yet nautical minded town!  Or island.  I have no idea what to wear!  I know that my Margaret Mead around the world safari ensembles (khaki pants,  denim shirt, straw hat and  cardigan wrapped over my shoulders) will not cut it in this venue. So I have turned to the one whose fashion advice I most admire, my mother. This was her response and I think it qualifies as tough love and I quote: "Well, whatever you do, don't overdress.  No Chanel.  Do you have crisp white jeans, a crisp white shirt and a navy pullover?  Deck shoes? I didn't think so!  The idea is to be liked, and no one likes overdressed at a barbecue". Well... I want to be liked, but the fact is I have been going to more couture shows than barbecues over the past few years and my wardrobe is a little thin in the casual department.  So I took my self down to Neiman Marcus in Palo Alto to hunt down white Capri pants (my compromise).  My saleslady, the ultra gorgeous Irina greeted me and said, "How do you do it?  You look like you're about fifteen".  She is my favourite saleslady!  And I value her opinion! Duh! But she was busy with a client, so I found some white Capri style jeans by Elie Tahari. The last pair!  The store is now sold out on white Capri pants!  Spring is here!  I went back home and found a navy cotton long sleeved Valentino pullover with a Chantilly lace yoke and embroidered navy Swiss dots allover the front.  And as far as the deck shoes go, forget it!  Little Missy does not do deck shoes!  Hello!  I will be wearing black Chantilly lace Valentino espadrilles and if the other people don't like me for what I am wearing, well, at least I tried!  But there is the other side of the coin that they may like me no matter what I wear!  Which isn't cutting to chase for a fashion person.
And speaking of torment, what about TAXES?  Isn't that just about the biggest brain fry on earth?  Even though we understand them rationally and that we know it is our duty, Good God!  Did you know that more than a third of the American population Like doing their taxes?  I heard that on Marketplace, my favourite radio show!  Yes!  Little Missy loves Marketplace and loves the host, Kai Ryssdal, and he was the one who said a third of Americans like doing their taxes!  And he says he hates doing his taxes too!
So now for the other current torment, Gluten free!  Who came up with this torture?
 
Even Little Missy can whip up a darned good Spaghetti Bolognese

 I cannot imagine a day in my life without carbs!  I know and I understand it doesn't work for some people, but I would rather DIE than not be able to eat pasta.  It's like sex! It can even be great cold!  I saw a great looking man I know recently and he looked very fit.  I asked him his secret and he said "Gluten free".  Oh Lord, I just wanted to burst into tears!  "But do you eat pasta"? I gasped.  "Only infrequently, and it has to be Very Good Pasta. It has to be Home Made".  Between taxes and all this nonsense about Gluten free and my worries about how to dress for a barbecue, I am drowning my sorrows in bites of salted chocolate.  Then I'll go for a walk. It will lift my spirits! I love California in the spring!  And tonight I will be having home made Chicken Mole with rice.  Enjoy your weekends, live, laugh and love!  In the moment, whenever possible!  Little Missy knows it's tough out there.  Be here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Learning About Fashion Rodarte Spring Summer 2011, photographed at Stanford University for Electric Fashion, the book I wrote with F...